Search A n R

Monday, December 28, 2009

Oven roasted Green peas

I love savoury snacks but have to keep away from fried food. Different varieties of sundals, kosumalli and salads are a staple in my everyday menu and my hubby loves them too. Green peas, rajma, chana, kabuli chana etc see their way into my salads, uslis and snacks. As much as I would love eating fried versions of these proteins, I have to stick to sundals and oven roasted versions of these yummy treats.

I saw this picture of green peas snack in my "food" folder and thought I'd write about it. I made this snack by chance and worked my way with the "how-to" of this recipe by accident. I had soaked some kabuli chana to make sundal for a festival and ended up falling sick. I use the cooked chana for something other than chole and made a baked snack out of it. I dint want to fry it so ended up roasting it in the oven. I am sure other food bloggers would have their version of such snacks, but here is how I "cooked" it up. :)

The process is almost the same for all the lentils/dals/bean varieties.

Oven Roasted Green Peas 
You need:
Green Peas (dry) - 3/4 cup ; (or fresh - 1 cup)
Salt
Hing
turmeric
Khuzhambu powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Garam Masala- 1 tsp(optional)

Process:
  • Soak your dry peas overnight (6-8 hrs)
  • Pressure cook the peas (1 whistle) with salt and turmeric - the peas have to be well done but should not fall apart. (Fresh peas can go into the oven right away)
  • Strain excess water and lay it onto a baking tray to cool.
  • When it is reasonably cool to touch, sprinkle khuzhambu powder, hing and garam masala powder and mix well.
  • pour oil and mix till the oil spreads evenly among the peas
  • Leave it for a ten minutes and put it in the oven (middle rack) for 10-12 minutes at 350F (you can use the pre heat time as well)
  • Take them out of the oven....they may look half done but let them cool. They will turn crisp on the outside and remain crunchy on the inside.
  • Store it in an air tight jar /bottle

Perfect for those evening cravings... :)


I use these oven roasted bean varieties as a crunch factor for soups and salads. You could also use these peas as a base for raitha and serve with parata, jeera rice or pulav! Khao tho jaano! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails