Search A n R

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Snake gourd seeds thuvayal

I had written abut coconut thuvayal and chutney recipes in my previous post. The basic difference between the two being, the preparatory phase. Thuvayal requires a little roasting of the ingredients where as chutney is mostly raw ingredients. My amma has been making this thuvayal for ever. She has her ingenious ways to get me and my brother, eat healthy. And we both were basically no-fuss kids so she was quite happy dishing out her new experiments along with the traditional vegetarian food from all over India (Ah! I cant stop bragging about her cooking skills)

Snake gourd

Pic: indiamart.com
This thuvayal is more like a no-waste-of- good-stuff recipe. I make it the day after I make some dish with snake gourd (podalangai / potlakai ). I scoop out the seeds from the vegetable and store it for use the next day.You may also use the entire snake gourd for this thuvayal.


Ingredients:: serves 4
Snake gourd seeds- 1 cup
mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
jeera- 1/2 tsp
urad dal- 1tsp
chana dal - 1tsp
moong dal- 1tsp
salt
hing (asafoetida)
tamarind - 1/2 lemon size
red chillies - 3/4
curry leaves - 5/6
coriander/cilantro for garnish
coconut - 1tbsp(shredded)
coriander seeds - 1/2tsp
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece

Process:
  • Soak the tamarind in just enough water
  • Roast coconut shreds until it tuns a light borwn colour. Shift it to a plate to cool
  • Use the thin film of oil left behind by the coconut to roast mustard seeds, jeera (cumin), all the dals and coriander seeds and red chillies
  • keep them aside to cool
  • saute the seeds and curry leaves and coriander/cilantro
  • Grind all the ingredients together with salt and asafoetida
Enjoy!!!!


Serve it with steamed rice, dosai/dosa or idli. I like to use any thuvayal as a base for thayir pacchadi /raita for roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails