raw rice - 1 cup
beetroot - 3
onions - 2
red chillies - 3
coconut grated - 1 small cup
cumin seed - 1tsp
mustard seeds - 1tsp
curry leaves - 10 to 15
red chilli powder - half tsp
salt - to taste
oil- 3 to 4 tsp
cardamom, cinnamon & cloves - 2 each
clarified butter (ghee) or Oil of your choice - 1 1/2 tsp
1. Peel skin of beetroot. cut it into huge chunks and boil in 4-5 cups of water. when the beetroots are cooked, take out the beetroots and grate them. Do not throw away the water in which the beetroots were cooked. Measure 2 cups of the beetroot water(if less, top it up with water).
2. wash, clean & soak rice for 10 mins. drain and keep aside for 10 mins.
3. In a pressure pan, heat one teaspoon of oil. add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. fry for a minute. add the drained rice and saute it till the grains fall separately.
4. add the beetroot water (which we had kept aside), a little salt for the rice and 1 teaspoon of ghee. close lid, put on the weight and cook for 3-4 whistles.
5. To the grated beetroot, add coconut, red chilli powder and a little salt. mix and keep aside.
6. take a thick-bottomed kadai. heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil. add mustard, jeera(cumin seeds) and pinched red chillies. Next add sliced onions and curry leaves and saute till light brown. add the grated beetroot mix and saute it for about 4-5 mins, stirring on a low flame. close lid and cook for 2 mins.
7. open the pressure cooker. mix the rice and the beetroot mixture gently till evenly mixed. grease the pressure pan with half teaspoon of ghee. put the rice and the beetroot mixture in it. cook for 2-3 mins on a low flame. garnish with fried cashewnuts.
Do try this and let me know how it turned out.
With lots of love,
I am posting this pic to link you back to my previous post on beetroot biryani.
Enjoy and take care!
PS: This is her recipe and I just quoted her here! take care