Search A n R

Thursday, July 23, 2009

My HOT favourite - raw mango pickle


i could go on and on about how much i like this dish. My amma could lure me into eating thayir sadam with just a mention of this pickle. My kollu paati in tiruchy makes it with "kili mooku manga" - thothapuri variety...what ever the mango type is..i simply love this pickle...It is instant and doesn't have to be used in minimal quantities...unlike the avakkaya version of the long term mango pickle.

I am not going to give you the recipe but wanted to share the fact that i drool when i see my mom slicing up a raw mango to make this pickle. I get fascinated by the number of ways i incorporate this pickle into my food until the jar my mom stores it in is empty. My hot favourite being eating it with "pazhe sadam" and gingely oil, salt and hing. ...yum...it is a perfect cooler on a hot summer afternoon. Add a spoonful to a cup of curd and lo u have wonderful thayir pacchadi, raita or a dip..what ever you call it...it is going to be wonderful. Drizzle it on top of your favorite salad recipe and lo...you have that tangy yummy dash to your salad. i like to put it on anything and everything i eat...crazy as it may sound..but that's how i love it. The pic is the batch i made with the precious "one" mango i bought at a local Indian store!...

Recipe:
1 Raw green mango
Salt
fenugreek seds - 1/4 tsp
Hing/asafoetida
Turmeric powder
mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
red chilli powder - 1tbsp (or lesser)
oil - for tempering
Process:
  • Wash and pat dry the mango and chop it finely (with the skin)
  • Add salt, asafoetida, chillipowder and turmeric powder and mix well
  • Heat oil and ad mustard seeds and let them crackle.
  • Add to the mango mix and let it rest for a while before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails