Search A n R

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Oats and Barley Wonder

I have like a million pictures of food from my kitchen. Instead of posting the new entrants, I thought I'd write about all my previous experiments. I loved baking this particular cake because of a number of reasons. One of them being its nutritive value and the short and sweet procedure.

All you need:
1 cup rolled oats (cooking oats not the cereal)
1/2 cup raisins
1 tbsp rolled barley (the cooking variety)
1  1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp vinegar (white- i use organic / apple cider) or lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup light brown sugar ( can use white also)
1/2 cup butter milk
Put 1/2 cup butter at room temperature ( microwave it for three minutes)( i substitute it with olive oil)
lemon zest ( 1 tsp) (tip -better zest it on while making your batter - fresh tastes better)
1 1/2 tsp elaichi powder ( i prefer natural "Indian" flavours) (any essence is also fine)
1/4 cup lukewarm water

 Procedure:
  • just mix dry and wet stuff as u would for a cake.
  • line the baking pan and bake the batter at 350 F for 25- 30 minutes ( now depends on your oven- so check and then the last five minutes just seal and wrap the pan up with a foil and let is rest in the oven for a few minutes...do the fork/knife test (poke test) to check if its done
  •  once it is done pull it out and let it cool. 

It is a simple recipe...Let me know how it came out!..Enjoy....:)



Tip: know your baking soda and powder proportions...I have had different rise levels with different brands.

1 comment:

  1. I just visited your site luckily and would like to say that I enjoy reading your posts every time. We will be waiting to get new articles from you. So informative and elaborative. You’ve just presented your nice ideas though your writing. Good work!

    www.thespiceguide.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails